Estimated Reading Time: <1
The Kano State Hisba Board said on Wednesday that it destroyed more than 200, 000 bottles of assorted beer worth millions of naira between January and December, 2013.
The Director-General of the board, Dr. Abba Sufi, disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Kano.
He said the items were confiscated from dealers and other members of the public across the 44 local government areas of the state during the period under review.
‘’The year 2013 was a wonderful year for Kano State Hisba Board as we seized and destroyed over 200, 000 bottles of assorted beer.
‘’It is illegal to drink, sale, consume, produce or transport alcohol in the state and the law was established in 2001.’’
Sufi said the board had since secured the conviction of all those found guilty of the offence.
According to him, the board has also arrested and prosecuted a number of prostitutes arrested in some parts of the metropolis during the same period.
He said that the board received reports from members of the public on the re-emergence of prostitutes in some parts of the city, adding that 66 suspected prostitutes had been arrested in the last two weeks.
“We arrested 40 of them about two weeks ago, while another 26 suspects were apprehended on Wednesday (today) following a tip-off and they will be taken to court for proper prosecution soon,’’ he said.
On street begging, Sufi said the state government had constituted a 100-man task force committee to enforce the law banning street begging in the state.
‘’The law will become effective as soon as the state government launches the empowerment programme it initiated for the physically challenged persons in the state’’, he said.
- Cross River Govenor’s aide threatens suicide over unpaid salary
- In Kaduna, bandits have killed no fewer than 18 people in two local government areas
- Nigeria is expecting COVID-19 vaccines from three donor sources – Health Minister
- Kano assembly approves a bill to force premarital testing
- Akeredolu calls for decentralisation of Police
- Just in: Senate approves Bawa’s appointment as new EFCC Chairman
- Auditor-General indicts MDAs on N105.66Billion spending
- Victims of NAF plane crash to be buried on Thursday
- WAEC withholds 70,000 SSCE results in Kano as government default on payment for sponsored students
- Borno Governor confirms 10 dead, 47 injured as he visits victims of Maiduguri attack