Estimated Reading Time: <1
Contrary to our earlier reports that Nigerian Police Loyal to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan shot serving senator in Rivers State.
Spokesman to Senator Magnus Abe has said the serving senator was hit by tear gas Port in Harcourt during the “Save Rivers State Rally”.
Senator Abe was attacked when policemen deployed to disrupt an opposition party rally in Port Harcourt fired tear gas into the crowd.
Senator Magnus Abe’s spokesman, Honour Sirawoo, says he was hit by tear gas cannisters fired by anti-riot policemen.
“Senator Magnus Abe was hit by tear gas cannisters on his chest and leg” – spokesman added. The opposition politician has been taken to an undisclosed private hospital in Port Harcourt for treatment.
Joseph Mbu Rivers State Commissioner of police on radio says Senator Magnus Abe likely ‘hit by tear gas canister’ not ‘live bullet’
The police said they did not grant the ‘Save Rivers Movement’ permission to hold the rally, they however fired rubber bullets and tear gas to disperse the crowd.
Magnus is a senator from #Rivers state in southern Nigeria. He has been a supporter of the incumbent governor Rotimi Amaechi who has been in a political face-off with President Jonathan leading to his defection from the PDP to the opposition APC.
A serving Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike was at the venue to supervise police operation to stop rally organised by Save Rivers Movement (SRM)
We shall keep you updated as the story develops but it is not clear if it was the police that shot the senator as we are yet to get a statement from the police spokesman to confirm the allegations.
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid
- Rumours about Ebenezer Obey’s death are wicked and unfounded – Son
- People living with disabilities will be priotised in N-Power – FG
- Kano government to establish state anti-corruption institute
- Court of Appeal affirms Yahaya Bello as Governor of Kogi State – dismisses appeal of the PDP for lacking in merit