Estimated Reading Time: <1
Women scantily dressed turned up in their hundreds to stage a protest against the non-implementation of an agreement with Shell. This happened in Peramabiri community in Bayelsa state.
The women disturbed the movement of Shell workers into the boat houses and oil platforms. A red cloth was used by the women to block the entrance to the oil platform. They claim Shell has failed in a promise they made two years ago. Promises of replacing the community’s bad generator and the renovation of the community school had been abandoned by Shell as they claim. They claim Shell had also failed in providing potable water for the community
The woman held up placards with inscriptions such as “Shell: Give us Light”, “Implement MoU or go”, “We need water, Light, School for our children”.
The spokesman for Shell Petroleum Development Company, SPDC, Precious Okolobo has urged the women to seek redress through the right channels.
“The SPDC has continued to work with the Peremabiri community on the implementation of the MoU in their area. The MoU model has provision for addressing grievances.
The Bayelsa State Government and MoU Cluster Development Board are aware of the situation and are engaging the Community Development Committee,” Okolobo said.
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai
- DPR revokes 32 private refinery licences