Estimated Reading Time: <1
The General Manager, Kaduna Environmental Protection Authority, Alhaji Sani Aminu, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Monday, that government would no longer tolerate the abuse on the environment.
Aminu said that the ultimatum became necessary in view of the recalcitrant attitude of hawkers, who had continued to litter the environment.
He said that the agency would no longer tolerate such environmental abuses which was costing the state so much of tax payers’ money.
“We are overwhelmed by the tonnes of refuse gathered from the streets of which between 60 to 70 per cent emanates from the activities of hawkers in various locations in the metropolis.
“The government is out to enforce all environmental laws, since the state is not a jungle where anybody does what he or she likes,” he said.
He believed that sanitising the streets of the hawkers would help to reduce crime, claiming that some of the hawkers “are into crime but only pretend to be selling products to the public”.
He cited areas where hoodlums disguised as traders and hawkers to include Independence way, Ahmadu Bello way and Station roundabout, all in Kaduna.
Aminu warned that anybody found hawking in the metropolis would be arrested and prosecuted, while the goods seized would be donated to orphanages. [NAN]
- Theophilus Oladipo: Nigeria must develop a legal framework against deceptive advertisement
- Breaking: UEFA to ban Man Utd, Real Madrid, other 10 teams from UCL
- Secessionists have three to four passports to run away when trouble starts – Lai Mohammad
- Breaking: An 18-seated bus has plunged into the Owena River in Ondo State
- David Hundeyin: Isa Ali Pantami – The Inside Story of Nigeria’s Minister of Communications & Digital Economy
- Buhari is tolerating the “rubbish” some civilian president did not take – Katsina Governor
- Mr Macaroni drags police to court over Lekki Toll Gate arrest
- Kalu Nwokoro Idika: Ebubeagu Security Network, Myth Or Reality?
- SERAP seeks probe of ‘missing N106bn In 149 MDAs in 2018’
- “You’re a pathetic fellow” – Former President Jonathan says Babangida Aliyu “will always remain at the back”