Estimated Reading Time: <1
Gunmen attacked the airport and seized control of the state television headquarters in Kinshasa on Monday, in what appeared to be an attempt to seize power by supporters of religious leader Paul Mukungubila.
The Police put a security cordon around the state television building where gunmen had taken several people hostage, journalists told Reuters.
Witnesses also reported shooting at the Tshatshi military camp, close to the Defence Ministry.
Report says Congo is struggling to emerge from decades of violence and instability, particularly in its mineral-rich east, in which millions of people have died, mostly from hunger and disease.
Congo is home to a 21,000-strong United Nations peacekeeping mission (MONUSCO).
Before transmission was shut down at state television, two gunmen appeared on camera to deliver what appeared to be a political message against President Joseph Kabila, who took office in 2001 after the assassination of his father Laurent.
“Gideon Mukungubila has come to free you from the slavery of the Rwandan,” said the message, according to a Reuters reporter who saw a tape of the transmission.
Gideon is the nickname used for Mukungubila by his followers.
Mukungubila, who calls himself ‘The prophet of the Eternal’, ran unsuccessfully for the presidency against Kabila in 2006.
He has been an outspoken critic of a peace deal signed in Dec. with the Tutsi-led M23 rebel group in eastern Congo, accusing Kabila’s government of bowing to Tutsi interests and pressure from neighbouring Rwanda.
The Information Minister, Lambert Mende said that security forces had the situation under control.
“The attackers presented themselves as supporters of Mukungubila, we are checking because this could be an attempt to fool us,’’ he said.
In central Kinshasa, the streets emptied and shopkeepers closed their shutters.
A customs official at the international airport on the outskirts of Kinshasa reported heavy gunfire there just minutes after the attack on state television.
“Shooting has started here, they are shooting everywhere, we are all hiding,’’ the official said.
- Yoweri Museveni of Uganda wins 6th term re-election
- Rovers of Calabar to square up against 3SC in NNL season opening match
- Abia State Government gives 7 Days ultimatum to street traders in Aba
- Oyo State gets first female Police Commissioner
- Wedding Photos: Former speaker Dimeji Bankole weds Kebbi Governor’s daughter
- Nigeria’s Golden Eaglets qualify for WAFU final, U17 AFCON
- Femi Adesina says Nigerians who fail to pray are guilty of prolonging the war against insecurity
- COVID-19: UK to close all travel corridors
- NAFDAC warns against the circulation of fake coronavirus vaccines
- The Kwara women who built community school with their personal funds have been refunded