Estimated Reading Time: <1
The All Progressives Congress (APC) has won all 17 chairmanship seats contested for in the Yobe local government elections.
Announcing the results on Sunday in Damaturu, Chairman of the State Independent Electoral Commission, Alhaji Mohammed Jauro, said APC secured 999,700 of the 1.2 milion votes cast during Saturday’s elections.
He said the party also won the entire councillorship seats contested for.
The chairman said the electoral body did not receive any complaints from any quarters on the conduct of the elections.
“The successful conduct of the polls is a proof that peace has returned to the state,’’ Jauro said.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that there had been fears that the poor security situation in the state, following insurgents’ activities, would affect the polls’ conduct.
However, the spokesman of the Military Joint Task Force in the state, Capt. Eli Lazarus, told NAN that the force had not received any report of security breach during the polls.
NAN reports that 10 political parties participated in the elections, with the main opposition party in the state, the PDP, boycotting the polls.
The party had cited the security situation as its reason for not taking part in the elections.
- Breaking: Nasarawa State Governor’s father hospitalised, governor’s residence, palace decontaminated
- Breaking: Video shows possible gory details of Policemen killed in Kogi bank robbery
- Covid 19: Refugee Commission and Sen Garba Mohammed’s selflessness during a global Pandemic
- Open Treasury: BudgIT identified faults, calls on government to fix it
- Activist Awosanya says advocacy efforts against Police brutality, other issues, yielding results
- Breaking: In Lagos; Worship centres to reopen June 19 – Says Governor Sanwo-Olu
- Two Chinese miners abducted in Ebonyi
- B/Haram: Top commanders, logistic routes destroyed but attacks on soft targets persist – Army
- COVID-19: Ebonyi orders testing and decontamination for budget ministries
- Nigerian Lawmakers reject castration as punishment for rapists