Estimated Reading Time: <1
The technical crew of the Super Eagles fielded a relatively strong side that had a blend of both youth and experience.
Some of those who started the match are: Skipper Chigozie Agbim, Ebenezer Odunlami, Azubuike Egwuekwe, Yinka Adedeji and Solomon Kwambe in defence.
In midfield, Douglas Achiv, Sunday Mba, Okechukwu ‘Small’ Azubuike and Ejike Uzoenyi held sway, while Barnabas Imenger and power-playing Abubakar Aliu were the preferred strikers.
The Eagles started the game on a positive note as Abubakar forced two excellent saves from the Plateau United goalkeeper inside the first 10 minutes, as the national team threatened to take the lead.
Uzoenyi however got the desired opener in the 25th minute, when Kwambe’s good interchange of passes with Archiv created space for Uzoenyi to score.
Nigerian coach, Stephen Keshi made wholesale changes to the team at halftime, save for Odunlami who stayed on, with the likes of Dele Alampasu coming in.
With the half seeming like it would end up as a goalless affair, Mfon Udoh slided in to poke the ball into the net as the Eagles’ doubled their lead.
After the game, Keshi acknowledged that the team had improved from the previous performance against Niger Tornadoes. He however decried the lack of activity in the league which he noted was having a negative effect on the players’ fitness levels.
Dignitaries in attendance at the game included the likes of assistant to the sports minister and former African track queen, Mary Onyali-Omagbemi, NFF, director of technical, Dr Emmanuel Ikpeme and former Super Eagles coach and now chairman of the Plateau United management committee, Bitrus Bewarang.
- Presidency defends Pantami, says he’s the victim of a ‘cancel campaign’
- Instagram Comedian and Influencer, Pankeeroy arrested for Bitcoin fraud
- Popular Yoruba Actor, Baba Ijesha arrested for allegedly raping 14 year old
- Oyo State Governor’s Lodge in Abuja to cost N1.2 Billion
- Allegations against Pantami are not a big deal – Arewa group
- We have strengthened security at the borders to prevent infiltration from Chad – Defence Minister
- COVID-19: Lagos concludes administration of vaccine first dose
- 8 AK-47 rifles stolen from soldiers in Benue have been recovered -Governor Ortom
- Judiciary workers in Lagos announce partial resumption
- Gunmen kidnap 18 persons in Ibarapa, Oyo State