Estimated Reading Time: <1
Mrs Jonathan said this in Paris, France on Friday while speaking at the advocacy meeting on sexual violence against women hosted by the First Lady of France, Ms Valerie Trierweiler, during the Elysee Summit for Peace and Security in Africa holding in Paris.
She accompanied President Goodluck Jonathan to France for the summit attended by world leaders in Paris.
Mrs Jonathan urged the wives of world leaders attending the summit to use their positions to mobilizes support against sexual violence and other abuses against women.
She said conflict-related sexual abuse should not be regarded as unavoidable or acceptable consequences of war because of their devastating consequences.
She urged leaders and policy makers to continue to promote girl child education, women empowerment and gender equality as critical steps to stop sexual violence against women.
The first lady called on UN member states, especially African leaders, to reassert their commitment to the effective implementation of UN resolutions on women.
She specifically advocated commitment to the implementation of Resolution 1325, which calls for greater protection of women from gender-based violence.
She emphasised the need for strategic collaboration and the inclusion of men in the global response to the problem of rape, saying “behind every rape, there is a man.”
- Presidency defends Pantami, says he’s the victim of a ‘cancel campaign’
- Instagram Comedian and Influencer, Pankeeroy arrested for Bitcoin fraud
- Popular Yoruba Actor, Baba Ijesha arrested for allegedly raping 14 year old
- Oyo State Governor’s Lodge in Abuja to cost N1.2 Billion
- Allegations against Pantami are not a big deal – Arewa group
- We have strengthened security at the borders to prevent infiltration from Chad – Defence Minister
- COVID-19: Lagos concludes administration of vaccine first dose
- 8 AK-47 rifles stolen from soldiers in Benue have been recovered -Governor Ortom
- Judiciary workers in Lagos announce partial resumption
- Gunmen kidnap 18 persons in Ibarapa, Oyo State