Estimated Reading Time: <1
Recall we reported plot by the People’s Democratic Party to Impeach governors that defected from the party . The Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi has said dismissed the plans by the party.
The Governor said the PDP members are grouping in the dark and they will soon realise that they are embarking on a wild goose chase because not even one of the 26 lawmakers will listen to any impeachment plot.
The Party plans to to oust the Rivers Governor who also happens to be a member of the G5 that left through the State House of Assembly
Describing the attempts as senseless and unnecessary, Amaechi on Sunday spoke through the Chief of Staff Government House, Tony Okocha.
Okocha noted that the Rivers Governor had not committed any impeachable offence, besides the party would not be able to persuade the state lawmakers to impeach him.
The Governor boast of the 26 members of the State House of Assembly that were on his side and pointed out that it would be difficult for the remaining five lawmakers in the House to remove him from office.
“It is very impossible for the governor to be impeached. The impeachment plot, if it is real will definitely fail. How can five lawmakers impeach a governor in a House of 31 members?”
In the same vein, the Deputy Speaker of the State House of Assemby, Mr. Leyii Kwanee, stated that none of the 26 members of the State House of Assembly lawmakers were obligated to continue to support the governor till the end.
He said none would succumb to any pressure to impeach Amaechi as Rivers State is already a bad market .
The deputy Speaker said, “We, the pro-Amaechi lawmakers are obligated to support him (Amaechi). What the governor is doing is to protect the future of the people. It is for the future of Rivers State.”
He said people have been talking about brotherhood from the South-South.
“But politics is about interest and not brotherhood. The lawmakers in Rivers State will never succumb to any pressure to remove their governor.”
He said that there was a subsisting court judgment that prevented the House of Assembly from impeaching Amaechi.
- ‘Gimba Yau Kumo, wanted by the ICPC, is no longer Buhari’s son in-law’ – Presidency says
- #DavidoAt10: ‘Being true hearted goes a long way – Davido says
- Bayelsa government imposes curfew from 8pm to 6am
- ‘We had sex, Ini Umoren attacked me, I killed her in self defense’ – Uduak Akpan claims
- Gbajabiamila did not oppose Southern Governors’ calls for restructuring – Rep
- President Buhari promises to ‘support and help Chad stabilize’
- ‘Stop fortifying criminals’ – Police warn native doctors in Ebonyi
- Buhari meets Chad’s interim President in Abuja
- JAMB may postpone UTME 2021 exams
- Aisha Yesufu vows to disregard NIN-SIM linking exercise in protest