Estimated Reading Time: <1
Nigeria’s Punch Newspaper is reporting that the Peoples Democratic Party is plotting to influence state lawmakers to impeach five governors who defected to the opposition All Progressives Congress last week.
According to its investigations, the party will lobby state houses of assembly members and members of the National Working Committee of the party, had considered the impeachment option since the governors joined the APC on Tuesday.
The governors who defected are Rotimi Amaechi of Rivers State; Rabiu Kwankwaso of Kano; AbdulFatah Ahmed of Kwara; Murtala Nyako of Adamawa and Aliyu Wamako of Sokoto State.
However, the Niger State Governor, Babangida Aliyu, and his Jigawa State counterpart, Sule Lamido, who are also among the PDP rebel governors, said that they had not left the party.
What will become of the ruling PDP in the weeks to come will also determine the party’s chances to remain in power come 2015 elections but many have criticized the President, Goodluck Jonathan for the poor handling of the crisis.
- ‘Gimba Yau Kumo, wanted by the ICPC, is no longer Buhari’s son in-law’ – Presidency says
- #DavidoAt10: ‘Being true hearted goes a long way – Davido says
- Bayelsa government imposes curfew from 8pm to 6am
- ‘We had sex, Ini Umoren attacked me, I killed her in self defense’ – Uduak Akpan claims
- Gbajabiamila did not oppose Southern Governors’ calls for restructuring – Rep
- President Buhari promises to ‘support and help Chad stabilize’
- ‘Stop fortifying criminals’ – Police warn native doctors in Ebonyi
- Buhari meets Chad’s interim President in Abuja
- JAMB may postpone UTME 2021 exams
- Aisha Yesufu vows to disregard NIN-SIM linking exercise in protest