Estimated Reading Time: <1
NEW YORK (AP) — Police confirm that a Metro-North passenger train has derailed in the Bronx.
A woman at the scene says numerous emergency vehicles have responded.
The FDNY confirmed the 4 deaths in a press conference. They also said that at least 67 people were injured, 11 seriously. Of the 4 people killed, 3 were thrown from the train after it derailed.
According to News 12, several passengers were taken away on stretchers. The FDNY said that all of the injured people were in stable condition and not expected to die.
New York Governor Andrew Cuomo later arrived on the scene and thanked first responders for their quick action. The NYPD estimated that about 100 people were on the train, which was scheduled to arrive at Grand Central Station at 7:43 AM.
According to the MTA, 5 of the 7 cars on the train derailed early Sunday morning. Though early witnesses to the scene said that some of the cars were submerged in water, police later said that wasn’t true.
As the AP reported, the train derailed near the Spuyten Duyvil station in the Bronx.
WABC7 said that the area where the train accident occurred is known to be a dangerous curve. Another train derailed at the same spot in July.
Authorities said it was unclear what caused the derailment, but a passenger on the train told WABC7 that the train appeared to be going faster than usual.
Metro-North suspended some service following the derailment.
- “Discontinue the street protests” – Read Muhammadu Buhari’s speech
- Breaking: Edo state govt reviews 24-hour curfew earlier imposed on the state
- US Govt wants the prosecution of all those involved in killings of #EndSARS protesters
- “We have received information alleging crimes” – ICC on #EndSARS protests in Nigeria
- We give you 24 hours to return the staff of office of the Oba of Lagos OR…… – Lagos ruling house declares
- Breaking: Finally, Buhari to address Nigerians after #LekkiMassacre and #EndSARS
- The Nigerian army says videos of Lekki tollgate shooting are photoshopped and fake
- NSA says Buhari is to provide a solution to nationwide crisis
- It was a system glitch – Instagram apologizes for censoring #EndSARS posts
- Just In: Attempted Jailbreak foiled at Ikoyi Prison