Estimated Reading Time: <1
The President of the Public Interest Lawyers League (PILL), Abdul Mahmud(Esq) has referred to the the threat handed down to the Academic Staff Union Of Universities (ASUU) by the Supervising Minister Of Education, Mr. Nyesom Wike as empty. He said this in a press statement made available to our news desk.
Abdul Mahmud is of the opinion that Wike’s threat shows how tragic governance has become in the country. He believes that lecturers can not be terrified by such threats which he referred to as nothing but empty.
You will recall that two days ago, the supervising Minister Of Education had handed ASUU a seven day ultimatum to return to work or risk losing their jobs
PILLS has urged Mr. Nyesom Wike to backtrack and have a date with history by checking on the eras of his predecessors who had contemplated similar moves.
‘Threatening striking ASUU members has never worked, not even during our jackboots era. Nyesom Wike forgets this bit of history. But, we must remind him of the then Minister of Education, Professor Babs Fafunwa, who threatened sack of striking university lecturers. We must also remind him of the failure of the instruments of violence the military mobilised against ASUU. To issue threat of sack to universities lecturers with rich historical tradition of struggles is pitiful; and to tread the same path his predecessors trod shows a poor understanding of labour relations.’
The body insists that no amount of threats will work. They concluded by suggesting that the only solution to the lingering strike is the government meeting ASUU’s demand.
- “APC Is Irresponsible, Reckless” – PDP kicks against ruling party linking members to fraudstar Hushpuppi
- Just In: Benue State University DVC dies of Covid-19
- Just In: Boat mishap in Benue River, Scores killed
- Former GM of LASIMRA, Jide Odekunle is dead
- NLC suspends week long strike in Cross River
- NNPC appoints, redeploys top management Staff
- 632 candidates fail Law School bar final exams
- President Buhari is an ‘accidental president’ ‘ – Fasyose
- Ondo Deputy governor asks Akeredolu to hand over government, gives 21 day ultimatum
- Kanye West announces US presidential bid