Estimated Reading Time: <1
Supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) are currently protesting in Bayelsa state over the supreme court judgment sacking the party’s elected governorship candidate.
The APC supporters took to the streets of Yenagoa, the state capital, on Friday morning, calling for the reinstatement of David Lyon as governor. and some of the angry supporters are setting ablaze tyres across streets in the capital and the secretariat of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.
The supreme court had Thursday nullified the election of Lyon — who was due to be sworn in on Friday — on the grounds that his running mate forged his credentials.
It ordered the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to issue a certificate of return to the candidate with the second highest number of votes and with the required geographical spread in the state — believed to be Diri Duoye of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
But the APC leadership kicked against the judgment, and said no one else would be sworn in as the governor of Bayelsa.
- Enforced COVID-19 Donations May Betray Ugly Truth About Nigerian Government’s Crisis Handling
- Breaking: 15-man Chinese Medical Team of Doctors arrive in Nigeria
- Just In: Bernie Sanders Drops Out of US Presidential Race
- Breaking: Federal Government of Nigeria slashes 2020 budget
- Just In: 27 Quarantined In Niger State Over Coronavirus
- Breaking: Office of the Accountant General of the Federation on Fire
- Lagos Govt withdraws charges against Naira Marley & former Guber aspirant who attended Funke Akindele’s Party
- Breaking: Nigeria Records Another COVID-19 Death
- Katsina Relaxes Social Distancing Rules; Lifts Ban On Friday Prayers
- AfDB President, Akinwunmi Adesina Denies Allegations Of Misconduct