Estimated Reading Time: <1
Chief Matthew Obasa, Oba of Ayede Oke-Agi Amuro, Mopamuro Local Government Area of Kogi, has decried alleged killing of farmers in Amuro communities by herdsmen.
Obasa stated this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Lokoja, the Kogi State capital.
He alleged that an ex-Councillor of Mopamuro Local Government Legislative Council, Mr Paul Oluwole (a.k.a Serebe) was murdered on Thursday morning on the way to his farm by herdsmen.
Obasa said the councillor was allegedly shot at close range by two herdsmen.
The traditional ruler described the incidence as unfortunate and pathetic.
He said this was not the first time the herdsmen are killing and maiming innocent people in the town and neighbouring communities in their farm for no just cause.
“Another woman died on Wednesday due to the severe injuries she sustained from herdsmen attack about a week ago.
“The woman, who was returning home from farm with her little baby on her back, was raped and had her hands and breast cut off.
“Our lives and the entire community are not safe from the hand of these evil men as they go about with guns and dangerous weapons.
“My people can no longer go about their farming activities because of the fear of being attacked by these deadly herdsmen.
“We are calling on government and all security agencies to come to our rescue in Mopamuro as the situation has already gone out of hand,” he pleaded.
The Monarch urged the Inspector-General of Police and Commissioner of Police in Kogi to ensure that the perpetrators of these heinous acts were brought to justice.
When NAN made contact with the State Police Command on the issue, Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr Williams Anya said the police was not aware of the incidents and promised that the police will investigate.
- Lockdown: Wike Orders Arrest Of Two Pilots For Violating Border Closure Rules
- AfDB President, Akinwunmi Adesina Denies Allegations Of Misconduct
- Africa Faces Massive Job Cuts In The Energy Sector – AEC
- #COVID19: EU to Help Africa With €15 Billion
- Poor People Are Not Sufficiently Captured By SIP – Senate President
- Keep your Smartphone Corona-Free: Kaspersky Shares Top Tips
- COVID-19: Customs Boss Approves Release Of Rice, Other Items Worth N3.2bn For Distribution
- “I am ready to set aside my immunity” – Governor Wike reveals those making Rivers state Vulnerable to Coronavirus
- Breaking: Nigeria records 16 new cases of Coronavirus, total infections now 254
- Nigerian Doctor Dies From Corona Virus