No longer news that some 234 girls are still missing after the female students were kidnapped by the radical Islamic extremists, Boko Haram.
Since their abduction, the defence headquarters is yet to issue a statement or provide updates to parents and Nigerians waiting to get updates on their whereabouts.
It is however shocking that the Director of Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, said on Sunday that the military was satisfied with the ongoing operations in Borno, despite the .
Olukolade said this in an interview with newsmen on the sideline of media tour of military operations in Maiduguri. He said the troops had been able to sustain momentum in terms of the offensive against the terrorists, notwithstanding the reactions from the insurgents.
“The bases we visited are part of the responses to the terrorist offensive and that is an achievement; the military had moved close to where the insurgents are.
“It shows that the military had taken over the land.‘’
Borno state education commission Musa Inuwo Kubo and the principal of the Chibok Government Girls Secondary School had initially said that 129 science students were at the school to write a physics exam when the abductors struck, after midnight on April 14. Twenty-eight pupils escaped from their captors between Tuesday and Friday. Then another 16 were found to be day scholars who had returned to their homes in Chibok before the attack.
The defence spokesman said that the morale of the soldiers was high, adding that ”we are expecting to see more successes from the troops” but did not speak on the abducted school girls after 12 days. He had in a statement issued last week noted “the search for the abducted students of Government Girls’ Secondary School, Chibok is also being intensified”.
NAN correspondent on the media tour, reports that the group visited military camps in and around Maiduguri.
The group visited 7 Division Headquarters of the Nigeria Army, 7 Division Garrison, Military check points in and around Maiduguri, amongst others.
At the camp in the outskirts of Bulanbuli, the soldiers were seen carrying out their duties as expected.
Maj.-Gen. Ahmed Mohammed, the General Officer Commanding (GOC) 7 Division of the Nigerian Army, who was also on the tour of the formations, told the troops that the Federal Government was happy with their operations.
“That is why we are here to say a big thank you and to convey the appreciation of the whole country.
“I wish to say big thanks for your courage and dedication.”
The journalists were also taken on night patrols by the troops which lasted from 9 p. m. to 12.30 a.m. around Maiduguri and its environ.
The essence of the tour, according to Olukolade, is to have a first-hand information on the operations of the troops.
…Says it will attract consequences
FORCE PUBLIC RELATIONS OFFICER,
… Says Nigerian Content Has Come to Stay
Group General Manager
Group Public Affairs Division