Generally, a divorce settlement agreement is a legal document laying out the terms of your divorce.
Divorce is sometimes beyond signing a legal document to nullify a marriage. It can be emotional and gut-wrenching. Also, it can result in the devaluation of a partner’s overall net worth and the significant appreciation of the other.
Here are the top 20 highest divorce settlements in history as of August 2023::
1. Jeff Bezos and MacKenzie Scott (2019) – $38.3 billion
Amazon founder and one of the richest men in the world, Jeff Bezos, reportedly gave his ex-wife, MacKenzie Scoth, $38.3 billion in Amazon stock as parting gifts when they split ways.
She received 19.7 million shares, or 4% of the internet retailer, as part of their divorce settlement.
Bezos retained voting authority over her shares and 75% of the couple’s Amazon equity under the terms of the deal.
Scott vowed to give away more than half of her wealth to charity and has since donated at least $14 billion to 16,000 non-profits, according to her website YieldGiving.com.
2. Alec Wildenstein and Jocelyn Wildenstein (1999) – $3.8 billion
The Wildensteins’ divorce in 1999 was not amicable. Jocelyn walked in on her husband and a 19-year-old Russian model in her bedroom at the Wildenstein New York home, and he threatened Jocelyn with a gun. This resulted in a night in jail for Alec Wildenstein.
According to a number of biographies, she continually changed her appearance to look more “feline.”
According to the Daily Mail, she spent £2 million on surgeries to please her husband, who loved big cats. She kept a Lynx as a pet, telling Vanity Fair “the lynx has perfect eyes.”
Jocelyne says that when she and her assistant went upstairs to the couple’s bedroom Alec appeared at the door wearing only a towel. Once he saw her, Jocelyne says, Alec grabbed a loaded nine-mm. semi-automatic and aimed it at her—and continued to do so even after the bodyguards identified themselves. Jocelyne also says she “glimpsed” a naked blonde woman in the bedroom. Alec disagrees, insisting that Jocelyne was downstairs when he first saw the bodyguards, whom he mistook for burglars. Once he discov-ered who they were, Alec says, he quickly put the gun away.
Jocelyn was awarded a $2.5 billion divorce settlement and $100 million each year for 13 years afterward. However, the judge stipulated that she could not use any of her divorce payments for further cosmetic surgery.
3. Rupert Murdoch and Anna Maria Mann (1999) – $1.7 billion
4. Bernie Ecclestone and Slavica Radi (2009): $1.2 billion
5. Steve Wynn and Elaine Wynn (2010): $1 billion
6. Harold Hamm and Sue Ann Arnall (2015): $974 million
7. Bill Gross and Sue Gross (2017): $1.3 billion
8. Kim Kardashian and Kanye West (2021): $2.7 billion
9. Adnan Khashoggi and Soraya Khashoggi (1980): $874 million
10. Mel Gibson and Robyn Moore (2011): $425 million
11. Roman Abramovich and Irina Abramovich (2007): $300 million
12. Donald Trump and Ivana Trump (1992): $250 million
13. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver (2011): $250 million
14. Michael Jordan and Juanita Jordan (2006): $168 million
15. Tiger Woods and Elin Nordegren (2010): $110 million
16. Dr. Dre and Nicole Young (2021) – $100 million
After 18 months of legal back and forth, rapper and producer, Andre Romelle Young (stage name: Dr. Dre) finalized his divorce from Nicole Young with a $100 million settlement.
Under the terms of the settlement, Young got $50 million immediately and the other $50 million a year after, and without spousal support.
Young left the marriage with all the jewelry as well as four vehicles: a Rolls Royce, Range Rover, Escalade limousine, and Spyder motorcycle.
16. James Cameron and Linda Hamilton (1999) – $50 million
17. Paul McCartney and Heather Mills (2008): $48.6 million
18. Phil Collins and Orianne Cevey (2006): $46.68 million
19. Michael Douglas and Diandra Douglas (1995): $45 million
20. Mick Jagger and Bianca Jagger (1978): $18 million
It is important to note that these figures are just estimates, and the actual amounts of the settlements may not be known publicly. The amount of a divorce settlement can vary depending on a number of factors, including the length of the marriage, the assets of the couple, and the state in which they are divorced.
The information in this article was curated from online sources. NewsWireNGR or its editorial team cannot independently verify all details.
Always visit NewsWireNGR for the latest Naija news and updated Naija breaking news.
Send Us A Press Statement/News Tips on 9ja Happenings: [email protected].
Advertise With Us: [email protected]