Nigeria’s Federal Government had in January 2021 set a goal of vaccinating 70 per cent of its citizen in two years (2021 and 2022).
Although the government, based on reports, is trying as much as possible to ensure many Nigerians get vaccinated. However, the accomplishment of its goal seems far off.
According to Worldometer, Nigeria population currently stands at 212,052,977. This implies FG’s aspiration of vaccinating 70 per cent would be targeting about 148 million persons.
Meanwhile, according to the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), only 2,897,201 eligible persons had taken the jab across the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) as at August 30, 2021 (few months to the end of the year 2021).
The Executive Director of the Agency, Dr Faisal Shuaib, however, noted that; “For clients who have not had any vaccination, the Moderna Vaccine is available and is being administered currently in all designated health facilities in the country, while those who have had their first dose of AstraZeneca vaccine are encouraged to visit their designated health facility to get their second dose”.
How To Get The COVID-19 Vaccine Free
In case you are considering getting the COVID-19 vaccine, it is free. Check the eligibility below to know if you are qualified.
- People aged 18 years and older
- Senior Citizens with or without underlying health conditions such as Diabetes, Hypertension etc
- Healthcare workers who are at a high risk of exposure
- Persons who recovered from COVID-19
Eligible Persons are therefore advised to pre-register on the NPHCDA E-Registration portal before visiting the Vaccination sites. This is mandatory.
How to access the vaccine
- Proceed to register or enroll for the vaccine via the NPHCDA E-Registration portal: https://nphcda.vaccination.gov.ng/.
- A vaccination ID will be generated, and a confirmation text message and email will be sent to each enrollee after successfully registering for the vaccination
- Successful enrollees should then proceed to any of the 183 vaccination sites picked at the point of registration with the vaccination ID, confirmation text along with a means of Identification to get the first dose of the Moderna vaccine.