Estimated Reading Time: 1
The House Of Representatives has stepped into the case of the murder of 26-year old female job seeker Iniobong Umoren in Akwa Ibom state.
They want the inspector General of Police to ensure that perpetrators of the kidnap and murder of the University of Uyo graduate are brought to justice.
The House through a motion under matters of urgent public importance moved by Hon. Unyime Idem representing Ukanafun/Oruk Anam federal constituency of Akwa Ibom State also mandated the IGP to ensure the protection of Umoren’s family members from harassment, intimidation and harm.
Idem noted that “She received a phone call from the assailant who pretentiously called her and invited her to a false interview of an advertised job.”
The lawmaker added that “Umoren was later found dead by the Officers of the Nigeria Police Force after an official report and with the help of a wide reportage of her disappearance and information of the false interview on social media platforms. Her body was further exhumed where it was buried in a shallow grave by her assailant.”
The motion also called for the protection of the family members of the deceased alleging that they have faced threats in the last couple of days asking them to withdraw the case.
He also noted that rape and other violent crimes against women and the girl child should not go unpunished, saying it will act as a deterrent for the perpetrators and others nursing the thought to forestall future occurrence.
The House adopted the motion and mandated its committee on Women Affairs to follow up on the investigation and come up with a report.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student