Estimated Reading Time: 2
The Akwa Ibom State Police Command has arrested the lead suspect in the murder of Iniubong Umoren, a job-seeker who went missing after she went for a job interview in Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State.
Ini Ubong was later found buried in a shallow grave – The lead suspect in the murder case has been identified as one Uduak Frank Akpan
Announcing the arrest, Okido Macdon, spokesperson of Akwa Ibom police command, on Sunday reported that Akpan confessed to having lured Umoren to his house in the guise of giving her a job.
He was also quoted to have said he sexually and physically assaulted her afterwards, leading to her death.
Macdon added in a statement that the suspect subsequently buried the victim in a grave in his father’s house.
“The perpetrator who confessed to have lured his victim to his house in the guise of giving her a job, but ended up sexually and physically assaulting her which led to her death. To cover his tracks, he dragged and buried her in a shallow grave in his father’s compound,” the statement read.
“The deceased has been exhumed and deposited at UUTH for autopsy. The suspect confessed to have told his local government chairman of his atrocity before escaping to Calabar and was never at any time handed over to the Police by anyone.
“Suspect is a confessed serial rapist who has owned up to the raping of other victims. He will be charged to court at the conclusion of investigations.”
Iniubong left home for an interview at Airport Rd in the outskirts of Uyo April 29, 2021. About 2 hours later, she was said to have made a frantic phone call to her friend where she was heard screaming before the call was abruptly ended. Her phone was switched off shortly after that.
Her friend alleged that she was abducted by one Uduak Frank Akpan, from Nung Ikot Obio, after he lured her on social media with a fake job offer. The police said on Friday, April 30, that an investigation into the case has began and two persons have been arrested.
She was said to have been invited by one Frank Ezekiel Akpan regarding the job, after which she became unreachable.
However, in a post shared on Sunday morning, May 2, @umohuduak1 revealed that she was raped and murdered by her abductor. Details of her death are still sketchy, she was reportedly murdered and buried in a shallow grave.
“They killed my friend and they buried my friend,” she tweeted with a video of her in tears.
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house