Estimated Reading Time: 2
One Mr Godswill Johnson has been arrested by the University of Calabar security unit for fake employment racketeering in the university.
The arrest was made known by the school’s Acting Chief Security Officer, Usani Okon-Etim while parading the suspect to the vice-chancellor.
Okon-Etim said the suspect has duped many people in the guise of offering them employment in the institution, including a retired Commissioner of Police.
“He collected the first instalment of N400,000 from one retired Assistant Commissioner of Police and then collected another N350,000 from another person and he offered her a fake employment letter.
“The person saw the employment letter and noticed that it is at variance with other employment letters that people have collected, so she knew it was fake.
“They now traced the fake syndicate to the University and reported the matter to us; we mounted surveillance and we were able to pick him up. We recovered the fake appointment letter.
“The suspect has been on this business for years now and he has duped many persons, using a fake signature of the Registrar of the University on the fake employment letters,” he said.
Reacting, the VC expressed dissatisfaction that many people have been using the Vice-Chancellor’s name to swindle members of the public under the guise of giving them employment.
She said that the University was not carrying out any employment or awarding contracts on social media.
She vowed that the suspect would be prosecuted and made to face the consequences of the crime committed.
“We are going to court, and we are going to make sure that the law takes its course. We are not going to allow justice to be circumvented, we are going all out to ensure that justice is served to serve as a deterrent to others.
“The University of Calabar will not carry out employment on social media; if we are going to employ, the vacancies will be advertised on national dailies for Nigerians to apply.
“The University is not going to tolerate any act of fake employment racketeering from any individual that is caught,” she said.
The VC handed over the suspect to the Department of State Services for onward investigation and prosecution.
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house