Estimated Reading Time: 2
Governor of Rivers State, Nyesom Wike, has imposed night curfew on all state entry and exit points with Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Imo states.
The Governor, through a state-wide broadcast, on Tuesday, said the curfew which begins on Wednesday night, is as a result of the recent attacks on security personnel by yet to be identified gunmen.
“The Government of Rivers State has decided to restrict night movements into and out of the state from the land borders of the state.”
“Consequently, a night curfew is hereby imposed and no person or vehicle is allowed into and out of Rivers State from 8.00 p.m. to 6.00 a.m. from Wednesday, April 28, 2021, until further notice.
“We wish to advise that those who have any legitimate need or reason to come into or go out of the state must do so before 8.00 p.m. when the curfew shall come into force daily.” he stated.
He also said that security agencies have been posted to monitor and enforce strict compliance with the curfew at all borders and or entry and exit points with Abia, Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa and Imo States.
The Governor also revealed that on Saturday some officers of the Customs, Police and Civil Defence services on their duty posts along the Port Harcourt – Owerri Expressway were ambushed and gruesomely murdered in cold blood by armed attackers.
“And similarly, on Sunday, the state witnessed another deadly attack and killing of officers and men of the Nigerian Army right in their duty post at Abua town in Abua Odual Local Government Area of the state,” he added.
“In view of what is going on therefore and its implications to the security of the state and citizens, and in the discharge of our constitutional responsibility in that regard, the Government of Rivers State has decided to restrict night movements into and out of the State from the land borders of the state.”
The governor urged all citizens of the state to be vigilant and report every useful intelligence or suspicious movements to the security agencies for immediate action.
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student
- Support Buhari in fight against insecurity, APC begs Nigerians
- Security operatives kill 8 gunmen in foiled attack on Imo Police Headquarters
- ‘Senator Abaribe should be in prison for failing to produce Nnamdi Kanu’ – Deputy Speaker says
- ‘Migrating persons seen in Kagarko LGA are travelling herders’ – Kaduna Government
- CBN extends deadline for dollar for naira promo
- Reuben Abati says Buhari’s ‘government will not allow transparency because it has something to hide’
- Anxiety in Abuja as security heightens over alleged Boko Haram attacks
- “We know your job is not easy, but we are proud of you” – Former Ogun Gov Daniel tells Osinbajo