Estimated Reading Time: 1
Air Force fighter jet on a mission against Boko Haram extremists allegedly bombed men of the Nigerian Army in error on Sunday, killing Nigerian soldiers, according to a now viral video shared by a yet to be identified soldier.
NewsWireNGR gathered that the soldiers who were reinforced from Ngandu village were on their way to Mainok, headquarters of the Kaga Local Government Area of Borno state which was under attack by militants from the Islamic State-backed faction of Boko Haram, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP).
However, the Nigerian Air Force spokesman, Edward Gabkwet, told a Daily Trust correspondent on Monday that he also saw the video of the incident but he could not independently verify its authenticity, saying a proper investigation had begun.
”First of all, we have to confirm the authenticity of that video.
“We can’t just see any video on social media and then start running helter-skelter about it. We have to confirm whether that video is authentic.
”If it is authentic, we have to now investigate why and how it happened.
“That is how it’s being done. I can’t after listening to it and say whether it is right or wrong without having all the facts and make sure that due processes are followed,” Gabkwet said.
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies