Estimated Reading Time: 1
Gunmen on Monday morning attacked the residence of Yoruba grassroot mobiliser and Oduduwa activist, Sunday Adeyemo better known as Sunday Igboho in Soka area of Ibadan, Oyo State.
Dapo Salami, spokesperson to Igboho disclosed the information to BBC Yoruba. Salami said that the assailants surrounded the building in the midnight and started firing bullets.
NewsWireNGR learnt that the community has been on the edge since the attack.
In a video recording going round in the internet, another spokesperson, Olayomi Koiki, claimed soldiers of the Nigerian Army were responsible for the siege on Igboho’s house with a probable attempt to arrest the activist.
Gunshots could be heard in the background as Mr Koiki spoke in the video. He said, “We are more than capable of securing ourselves, we have chased them far from here,” Mr Koiki said in the video. “I am sure you can hear gunshots. That is them shooting from afar, we cannot be intimidated because we are fully prepared and ready for them.
“By tomorrow morning, I am sure the government would come with false press statements, that it was a set of unknown soldiers, that was the same tactic they used to attack Fela’s mother. They equally used it during #EndSARS.
“They brought us a letter sometimes ago but we rejected them because the letter was what they used to kill Dele Giwa. We have chosen to be peaceful only for them to keep looking for our trouble which we won’t hesitate to give to them.”
Igboho has recently been at the centre of the herdsmen crisis that has rocked the southwest region. He blamed herders for the increasing insurgent attacks and has issued quit notices to Fulanis residing in the southwest.
On February 26, some security operatives security operatives attached to Operation Burst allegedly accosted Igboho on his way to Lagos and allegedly attempted to arrest him.
The police and the State Security Service however denied the allegation
- Just In: Army arrests 13 suspected Boko Haram terrorists in Kano
- Miyetti Allah Chairman regains freedom
- For Eid-el-Fitr, Buhari plans modest celebration within Aso Rock
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money