Estimated Reading Time: 2
Senator representing Borno South, Ali Ndume has called on the Federal Government to reveal the identities of the 400 bureau de change operators apprehended for funding Boko Haram.
The senator stated this in an interview with journalists in Abuja on Sunday.
Presidential spokesperson, Garba Shehu disclosed arrest of the BDC operators funding the terror group last week.
Speaking on the arrest, Ndume, who has at different times publicly condemned activities of the Boko Haram sect, charged the government to release the identities of the suspects and also ensure trials are done in the public space.
“The presidency said recently that Nigerians would be shocked if it revealed the identities of those who are sponsoring the Boko Haram insurgents,” he said.
“Can you imagine that 400 Bureau De Change operators are the people funding the Boko Haram?
“When the BDC operators are arrested now, what will the government do with them. The presidency is already saying their case is confidential. What is confidential about it?
“The presidency should expose the identities of all the BDC operators so far arrested and carry out their trial in public.
“If any of them is innocent, he should be allowed to go while those found guilty must be made to face the music.”
The minister further referenced how he was tried in the open for six years when he was alleged to have funded the terror group.
According to him, his trial means all suspects arrested to have linked with Boko Haram should also be tried in the open too.
“When I was wrongly accused, I was tried publicly and I was vindicated. The trial lasted six years in an open court. If there is any criminal act linked to anybody. No matter how highly placed, let the evidence be placed before the public, there should be no secret trial,” he said.
“Nowadays, criminals are arrested and paraded without further action. Nobody knows what happens to the people who killed 11 soldiers in Benue state recently?
“What happened to those who beheaded policemen in Cross River state?
“If everyone is doing what he is supposed to do as defined by our constitution and laws, we would not have these problems. Citizens should expose suspicious movements.”
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies