Estimated Reading Time: 1
Boko Haram terrorists groups are distributing flyers in Northern Nigeria talking about the aims of their agitations – A notice circulated by Boko Haram from a resident, reads, “We are fighting Jihad war; we are only going to attack the military, their collaborators and anyone who prevents us from carrying out our Jihad.”
Friday reported that the Boko Haram sect attacked Geidam town, the headquarters of Geidam Local Government Area of Yobe State, the home of the current acting Inspector General of Police., Usman Baba Alkali.
Another resident tells NewsWireNGR, “The copies of the letter written in Hausa were distributed to residents of Geidam on Friday late afternoon before the attacks began,” .
The terrorists attacked the heart of the town, burning shops and shooting continuously in a gun battle with troops. The residents were forced to either lock themselves indoors or scamper into the bushes.
The town is about 200km from Damaturu, the Yobe State capital and one of the border towns between Nigeria and the Niger Republic.
It was gathered that the insurgents invaded the town with several gun trucks at about 6pm – the insurgents destroyed heavy military equipment and shared photographs of gun trucks razed by the insurgents.
The Friday attack forced the Nigerian troops to restrict movement along Damaturu-Damboa-Biu Road later.
The Yobe attack was not the first time the terrorist group would invade the hometown of the head of a security agency. They had raided the villages of former Chief of Air Staff, the late Alex Badeh, and ex- Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai, in Adamawa and Borno states respectively when they were in service.
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house