Estimated Reading Time: 1
Two security operatives have been reported killed as gunmen attack and set fire to Imo state Governor Hope Uzodinma’s country home.
The house, located at his hometown in Omuma, Oru East Local Govt Area of Imo State, was attacked early hours of Saturday morning and set ablaze by suspected hoodlums in black and black attire according to eye witnesses reports.
Security agents reportedly fled the scene after being overwhelmed by the brutal mob, witnesses said, confirming that the governor was not inside.
This is happening just hours after the Governor while on a visit to President Buhari said the crisis in the South East is sponsored by politicians who want to “distract a focussed government.”
The governor had also commended the Buhari administration, saying: “I know the genuine interests of the President for Nigerians, I have had series of discussions and at every given time I have asked for one intervention or the other, it is given to me and it is for the interest of my people.
“But then, for those things to function, we need an enabling environment. That is why the enemies of progress, not deterred by the progress the government is making, are now out to scuttle good governance
“Opposition and politics are about the people. Democracy is the government of the people, by the people and for the people. Why are people hiring people to kill the people? There is no responsible government that will not want those who voted him or her to power to be happy and this government I have seen is a responsible government.” he said.
Southeast Nigeria has seen a recent upsurge in attacks targeting security forces in violence that officials have blamed on the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
- ‘We recovered $153 Million, 80 houses from Diezani’ – EFCC reveals
- Arson: NDLEA office in Abia have been burned
- Nollywood actor defends alleged child molester Baba Ijesha; leads protest at Panti
- Kidnappers’ locations are not unknown but we are being careful – Lai Mohammed
- Southern Senators support Governor’s resolve to ban open grazing
- Abiodun Komolafe: Osun figures don’t lie!
- Vice President Osinbajo arrives Uganda for Yoweri Museveni’s 6th inauguration
- SPECIAL REPORT: How special needs students are struggling against the Nigerian educational system
- Squandered N50bn: Transport ministry accuse the NPA of engaging in “wastage of public funds”
- Cheta Nwanze: Quick reaction to Buhari’s new security measures for the South-East/South-South