Estimated Reading Time: 1
One police officer has been reportedly killed as bandits attacked a mobile police checkpoint at Dogon-Gawa community of Takum Local Government Area, Taraba State.
The Chairman of the Council, Shiban Tikari, confirmed the incident, saying the gunmen struck in the early hours of Saturday.
He added that he was there when the attack took place with over 200 of the bandits surrounding them.
According to him, there was a heavy gun duel between the police officers and the bandits leading to the death of one officer.
Tikari alleged that the Tiv militias comprising of remnants of late Gana boys are responsible for the series of attacks in the southern zone of Taraba.
As at the time of this report, phone calls and text messages to the police public relations officer David Misal were not responded to.
This attack on police checkpoint Dogon-Gawa community comes days after gunmen killed four people in separate attacks carried out between Wednesday and Thursday in Taraba State.
The gunmen in their numbers first attacked Tor-Larshager a suburb community of Wukari Local Government Area killing a 70-year-old man and setting ablaze his residential apartment at about 9:00pm.
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll