Estimated Reading Time: 1
Nigerian singer, Tiwatope Savage known by her stage name, Tiwa Savage has opened up on her struggles with embracing her dark skin in a society and industry besieged by colorism Eurocentric beauty standards
Speaking in an interview with Allure magazine recently, the ‘Dangerous love’ singer revealed that she tried to bleach her skin at some point.
“I actually did try to bleach my skin when I was about, I think, 14, 15,” she recalls. “Even now, on my back I have patches…”
She further revealed that she stopped because of her mother’s disappointment when she found out.
“My mom, she was cleaning my room and saw the cream that I used to mix with lemons. She wasn’t even angry. It was more her disappointment. So I stopped, but I was always insecure about being dark.”
Tiwa, who is featured on this cover of this month’s issue of the magazine, further revealed that she has gone past the young lady who was trying to change her past and now, she centers her dark skin in her projects.
“I have a platform and I’m digging more into my responsibility for younger people,” she says. . “When I started my career I wasn’t embracing who I was fully yet because I was just trying to crack into the market,” she says. “My first two singles were very American and it wasn’t very African. But then, as time went on, I just started seeing how powerful my platform was and how mothers would say, ‘My little girl really looks up to you.’
“And I feel like there’s so much pressure now and it’s going to get even worse with social media and there needs to be a balance. There needs to be some people that are not too perfect. I know we want to look good. I don’t want to be out there looking jacked up, but I also want to look relatable.” she revealed.
- ‘Explore other social messaging platforms with respectable privacy limits’ – FG warns against WhatsApp
- ‘476 Online publications created to fight the Government have been uncovered’ – Lai Mohammed claims
- NDLEA expresses worry over marijuana-laced cakes as lawmaker makes a case for legalization
- Breaking: Again, Buhari seeks new N2.342tr external loan
- Osogbo youths protest EFFC raids and alleged harassment
- Dubawa inducts 26 fact-checkers for 2021 West Africa-wide fellowship
- Governor El-Rufai declares NLC President Wabba wanted
- Kaduna Governor curses rights activist, Chidi Odinkalu
- Police rescue kidnapped UNIJOS professor, husband
- ASUU joins NLC strike in Kaduna in solidarity