Estimated Reading Time: 1
When Lufuno Mavhungu, a South African Grade 10 schoolgirl was on Monday found dead having overdosed on prescription pills, her family amid sadness wondered why their daughter would take her life.
That question was answered in a video that later went viral on social media.
In the video of the harrowing incident, Lufuno, 15, was seen beaten by another Grade 10 pupil, Darlene Candy who repeatedly slapped her while other schoolgirls cheered on taking a video of the incident.
The victim did not attempt to fight back as she was being bullied by the schoolmates. A few of their schoolmates tried to separate them but was not very successful.
Later investigations revealed that Lufuno was bullied over R5 (about N150)
The incident took place at Mbilwi High School in Limpopo – and outraged parents and classmates have since marched to the institution to demand justice for the Grade 10 learner.
The incident which has since stirred South Africa has since been the subject of an investigation by the South Africa Police and the Limpopo’s provincial education department.
The father of the victim apparently said that the abuse had been going on for a while, and that the school never did anything despite the matter being reported.
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies
- Ebonyi Government says it will offer amnesty to repentant bandits
- Reps Committee summons NNPC, others over oil mining lease revocation
- ‘Buhari needs to speak to Nigerians; we didn’t vote for Garba Shehu or Femi Adesina’ – Dino Melaye
- I will stop being a Nigerian if Tinubu becomes President – Bode George
- Breaking: FG announce high profile Nigerians and institutions as financiers of terrorism
- “Some people are mercilessly against this country,” – Disappointed Buhari says
- Supreme court declares dissolution of Oyo Local Government Councils illegal
- Pastor Adeboye’s son to be buried on Tuesday May 11
- Abia Governor promises to rescue abducted ABSU student