Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Akwa Ibom Police Command has disclosed it arrested an inmate who absconded after the attack on a federal correctional centre in Imo State.
Gunmen stormed the facility at around 2am on Monday morning and gained entrance into the yard by using explosives to blast the administrative block and freed 1844 prisoners.
NewWireNGR gathered that the attackers also burned down the Imo State Police Command headquarters in Owerri and all the vehicles parked at the command headquarters in an attack that lasted from 1am till 3am on Monday.
The police spokesperson in Akwa Ibom, Odiko MacDon said in a statement that the inmate identified as David Ubong, from Ibaka in Mbo Local Government Area of the state.
“(The) suspect confessed to be one of the inmates who escaped from the Nigerian Correctional Service in the recent jail break at Owerri, Imo State on 5/4/2021. Until his conviction, the suspect was a resident of Obinze in Owerri, Imo State,” Mr MacDon, said in the statement issued on Friday in Uyo.
“Suspect will be sent back to face his jail term,” he added.
- In Delta, Governor Okowa sacks commissioners, SSG, Chief of Staff, others
- Muhammadu Buhari: As governments struggled to contain COVID, jihadists have taken advantage in the Sahel
- SERAP wants Nasir El-rufai to “immediately end the growing crackdown on workers and protesters in his state”
- Just In: Buhari appoints Abubakar Fikpo as DG NDE
- COVID-19: NAFDAC approves Johnson & Johnson for emergency use
- Ayade finally approves the ‘appointment’ of magistrates unpaid for 2 years
- Kaduna State Government vows to dismiss workers who join NLC protest
- Naomi Campbell welcomes baby daughter at 50
- Nigeria Immigration Service formally suspends issuance of new passports
- Kaduna strike: Wabba dares El-Rufai; leads protest to state house