Estimated Reading Time: 1
Tension in Aba commercial town in Abia State, over sounds of gunshots at the police area command.
Residents were going about their normal activities when suddenly security operatives started shooting sporadically – Gunmen had attacked the Police Command Headquarters in Owerri and correctional center also in Imo, the state capital, inmates numbering 1,844 escaped following the attack on its custodial centre with properties at the center set ablaze.
Sources in Aba tell NewsWireNGR that, all roads around the police command have been barricaded and residents have been ordered back to their houses.
More details of the attacks to follow, in the meantime, gunmen attacked another police station in Imo State late Wednesday – Mbieri Divisional police headquarters located at Mbaitoli local government area of Imo state was the latest victim.
The attack on the Mbieri station is the seventh police station to be attacked by gunmen in Imo state between January and April, which includes the attack on the Imo state police command headquarters on Monday.
According to sources, the gunmen vandalised the police building and freed suspects in detention.
They reportedly arrived in the late hours of Wednesday night with sophisticated weapons and shot sporadically before gaining access into the police facility. About two police officers were injured and another reportedly kidnapped.
The Lagos State Commissioner of Police, CP Hakeem Odumosu also on Wednesday met with the Controller of Correctional Service Lagos State, Mr Francis Adebisi and top officers including Area Commanders, Mobile Police Commanders and Commanders of the Tactical Operational Units of the command in the state.
Odumosu at the meeting put the officers on red alert and also discussed reviewing operational strategies of the command towards forestalling any attacks in the state.
- Rochas Okorocha says he only honoured EFCC Invitation and not arrested
- EFCC arrests Senator Rochas Okorocha
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Justice Aisha Bashir-Aliyu becomes Nassarawa’s first female chief Judge
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems