Estimated Reading Time: 2
Reno Omokri, a former spokesperson for ex-President Goodluck Jonathan on Friday, led a protest against President Muhammadu Buhari in London.
Mr Buhari who has been criticised for medical tourism recently traveled to the United Kingdom for what his spokesperson, Garba Shehu described as a routine check-up.
Having made public of his plans to stage the tagged #HarassBuhariOutofLondon protest, Omokri and other Nigerians convened at the Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari’s residence, Abuja House, 2 Campden Hill, Kensington, London W8 7AD and demanded that the President leave London, return to Nigeria and fix Nigerian hospitals.
He said the London Metropolitan Police were called in by the Nigerian High Commission but the protest was allowed to continue after they certify that the protest was orderly, peaceful and in accordance with the COVID-19 protocols.
“The rally was held in strict compliance with COVID19 protocols with protesters massing in groups of six,” Omokri tweeted.
Speaking at the event, Omokri said Buhari left his country on the day resident doctors began a strike and came to the UK to take care of his own health.
“He has been in office for 5 years, and he is yet to initiate, start and complete even one hospital. Will Boris Johnson fail to build hospitals for the British then run to Nigeria to treat himself?”
“Buhari has budgeted billions of Naira for the Aso Rock State House Clinic in the five years he has been in office. Is that not enough money to build a hospital and train doctors that can treat him and other Nigerians? Yet, his own wife said that the clinic can’t even provide ordinary paracetamol. Google it”.
Continuing, Omokri added that “when Buhari’s son, Yusuf, was injured in an accident, we prayed for him to get well. I prayed for him. How did this man reward us? He accused FG of alleged killing of peaceful, unarmed #EndSARS protesters. These are the children of the men and women who prayed for his son.
Omokri said “peaceful, unarmed #EndSARS protesters asking for good governance were allegedly killed, and now he is in London to secure his life and enjoy the benefits of British good governance?”
Omokri said “Only 5% of Nigerians are covered by a doctor. This man forced himself on Nigeria. He promised he would do better, but he has turned Nigeria into the world headquarters for extreme poverty.
The British press were also on the scene to report the protest.
- USSD SAGA: Will the suffering of Nigerians ever end?
- CCT’s media officer who wrote the ‘Biafran Boys’ statement has been recalled
- New salary and welfare package for Judges in the works – Malami
- ‘Kaduna Government has no choice but to reduce the size of the public service’ – El Rufai
- DPR revokes 32 private refinery licences
- Father, son killed as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Buhari welcomes Ramadan, urges Nigerians to reject divisive voices
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t