Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Abia state government has declared restriction of movement in Aba north and Aba south LGAs for the bye-election scheduled to take place on Saturday.
In a statement issued on Friday, John Okiyi, Abia commissioner for information, said the restriction will start from 8pm on Friday and end at 6am on Sunday.
“Only voters, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) officials on election duty, workers on essential duties with proper identification documents, and security operatives are exempted from the restrictions within the stated period,” the commissioner said.
The house of representatives had declared the seat of the Aba north/south federal constituency vacant, following the death of Ossy Prestige.
Meanwhile, four political parties in the state have fielded candidates for the election.
Mascot Uzor Kalu, younger brother of Orji Kalu, former governor of Abia, will represent the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the election, while the Action Alliance (AA) has adopted Okey Prestige, younger brother to the late lawmaker.
Chimaobi Ebisike and Destiny Nwagwu are the candidates for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA), respectively.
- Ohanaeze Chieftain vows to ‘put an executive Zik in Aso Rock in 2023’
- Police arrests 49 Shiite protesters in Abuja
- For the second time in a week, gunmen attack police station in Akwa Ibom
- ‘El-Rufai’s comments are mischievous’ – Igbo Leaders respond
- ‘You can’t get Presidency by threats or shouting victimhood’ – El Rufai says to South-East
- ‘A military takeover is not the solution to Nigeria’s problems’ – Adams Oshiomhole
- Gunmen kill five Police Officers, two civilians in Rivers
- Wike says Nasir el-Rufai is reaping from the evil he plotted against Rivers State
- Hadiza Bala-Usman faces Probe over un-remitted N165.3bn funds
- Former Minister for Women Affairs, Aisha Alhassan dies