Estimated Reading Time: 1
Zamfara state Government has declared that it will “deal decisively” with any journalist or social media handlers jeopardizing its efforts in tackling insecurity by spreading fake news
Commissioner of Information Ibrahim Dosara said this while addressing a press conference at the police Headquarters in Gusau the state Capital. He said the move is to ensure authenticity of stories going outside the state.
According to him, spreading fake news is promoting the unholy activities of bandits in the state.
“Cognisant of fake news, unguided utterances by members of both conventional and the social media, the Zamfara State government among its resolution recently adopted to take appropriate action against unprofessional conduct in media practice.”
“Let me emphasise here that the state government will never continue to condone the unwholesome act.”
The information commissioner, however, said the news briefing was not intended to castigate or embarrass any journalist in the state.
“The Zamfara State government still holds lots of you (pressmen) in great esteem because of your work that is strictly according to the ethics of your profession.”
The Commissioner also alleged that some politicians “sponsor” Journalists and social media handlers to spread fake news.
He added that security agencies have been directed to monitor the activities of such journalists and take necessary actions.
“The Commissioner of Police, the DSS, the Civil defence and I, as commissioner, have been saddled with the responsibility of ensuring compliance to professionalism in media practices.” he said.
The Zamfara State Government further reassured of its commitment to make the state a more peaceful place for all.
- Ogun Police say, anyone planning to attack any station in the state is on a “suicide mission”
- NDLEA busts an alleged online drug trafficking cartel that sells to Abuja residents
- Insecurity: We urge Nigerians to boycott Democracy day – Coalition of Civil society in Nigeria tackle Buhari
- UNIBEN warn admission seekers to be wary of the activities of racketeers
- Wike says “no amount of intimidation will make the state succumb to any secessionist”
- We are against payment of ransom to bandits – Arewa Consultative Forum
- INTERVIEW: Alkasim Abdulkadir provides rare insight into the battle against insurgency, nation building and why youths must chase money
- Muhyideen Kolawole: The Healthcare System in Nigeria is Collapsing
- Nasir el-rufai is “one of the real enemies” of Nigeria – Benue Governor Ortom says his Kaduna counterpart is an “ethnic champion and religious bigot”
- #EndSARS: Witness shared videos revealing Army shooting at protesters at the Lekki Toll