Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rep. Femi Gbajabiamila, has Wednesday , said that for leaders to deliver on the promise of democratic governance, the local government administration must be fixed to meet its expectations.
Speaking at the 2021 General Assembly of the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), the Speaker said the House was ready to assist in making the local governments in Nigeria better through the instrument of the law.
The Speaker noted, that, “The local government administrations in Nigeria are the closest to the people. They should be responsible for making decisions and providing services that ensure the quality of life for the Nigerian people.”
“Until we fix local government administration in Nigeria, we will not be able to fully deliver on the promise of democratic governance in a way that allows us to achieve our country’s full potential.” He reiterated .
He then advocated for Local government leaders at all times to strive towards a culture of service and the practice of excellence. “You must respect the rule of law. Part of that means ensuring that the legislative arm of local government administration performs its separate functions without undue executive interference.”
“For too long, we have avoided the hard conversations about our nation’s future. We cannot afford to do that anymore. I assure you all that the 9th House of Representatives will not waiver from our commitment to take whatever legislative actions are necessary to achieve the highest ambitions we have for Nigeria.
“I assure you also that we are ready to work with the Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON) and all stakeholders to fix local government administration in Nigeria once and for all.”
- Rochas Okorocha says he only honoured EFCC Invitation and not arrested
- EFCC arrests Senator Rochas Okorocha
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Justice Aisha Bashir-Aliyu becomes Nassarawa’s first female chief Judge
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems