Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Nigerian Correctional Service (NCoS) in Anambra State has placed a N200,000 bounty on one Chidi Nwankwo, an inmate who was allegedly set free by members of his gang.
He reportedly escaped following an attack on the correctional vehicle conveying the inmates to court left two prison warders dead.
According to a statement on Sunday evening, by Francis Ekezie, the spokesperson of the NCoS command in Anambra, the 46-year-old inmate was forcefully released after his gang members killed the prison officials.
Nwankwo is standing trial at the magistrate court 2 Nanka after his brother whom he stood for as guarantor in a trial escaped.
Ekezie said in the statement:
“This is the face of the inmate whose gang members allegedly attacked the Nigerian Correctional Service escort vehicle on its way from the court at Nanka, Anambra State. He was forcefully released after killing the escort NCoS personnel and a police officer.
“Chidi Nwankwo is accused of assisting his brother, Anayo NWANKWO who was being tried for arson to escape. Anayo NWAKWO was said to have pretended to be ill when a prosecutor arraigned him for trial at the Magistrates Court 2, Nanka on the 8th of March 2021, prompting the Magistrate to release him for medical attention and CHIDI stood as his guarantor.
“Eventually, Anayo escaped hence, Chidi, who stood in as his guarantor was arrested for aiding the escape of his brother, Anayo.
“The State Controller, Barr. Emmanuel Nwakeze wishes to appeal to the good people of Anambra State and indeed all Nigerians to assist in recapturing the fugitive, Chidi Nwankwo.
“A cash prize of N200,000 (Two Hundred Thousand Naira) awaits anyone with useful intelligence that can assist in his recapture.”
Meanwhile, the state governor, Willie Obiano on Sunday banned the use of vehicles with covered number plates and tinted windows on all roads in a bid to curb the increasing attacks by criminals in the state
- Breaking: Southeast governors announce own security outfit ‘Ebubeagu’
- #SaabGate: Joe Abah denies involvement in Alex Saab campaign
- Breaking: South-East governors meet in Imo on security
- Ramadan: Look out for crescent from Monday – Sultan
- Police rescue 15 abducted persons, 32 cows in Kaduna
- Police arrest 17 suspected cultists in Abuja
- SERAP says it is unfair to pay judges less, while Presidents and governors take home “huge salaries”
- Catholic Priest abducted in Imo
- Collective responsibility needed in fight against poverty — Okorocha
- INTERVIEW: I am excited people looked beyond the lip gloss to enjoy my content – Enioluwa Adeoluwa, 21-year-old Nigeria’s front-line Influencer