Estimated Reading Time: 1
Chikwe Ihekweazu, director-general of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), has assured Nigerians of the safety and efficacy of the Oxford/AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.
He gave the assurance on Tuesday in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi capital, while handing over the newly-constructed molecular laboratory to the management of the Alex Ekwueme Federal University Teaching Hospital.
Spain, Germany, France, among others, have suspended the use of the vaccine over concerns relating to blood clotting.
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is expected to release its findings on the vaccine on Thursday.
According to NAN, Ihekweazu said despite reports of some European countries suspending the administration of the vaccine, he is very confident that the doses administered in Nigeria are safe.
“We are very confident of the vaccine we introduced in the country, and that it will become a game changer in the fight against COVID-19. I and other frontline staff have been vaccinated and I am still standing,” he was quoted to have said.
“We should tell Nigerians that though faith is important in what we believe, the issue of vaccination is about science.
“When we believe that doctors, nurses, and other health personnel can provide us with healthcare based on understanding of science, we should then believe in the vaccine’s efficacy.”
- #EndSARS: Nigerians react as Canada rejects asylum application of ex-SARS officer
- How Nigerian lawyer, Adaeze Ikpema was allegedly murdered by her husband
- Police Inspector Fatally Injured While Repelling Multiple Kidnap Attacks in Abuja
- Insecurity: Nurses In Ogun State declare strike until ‘safety is guaranteed’
- NASS legislative aides protest unpaid salary arrears
- Nigeria – An increasing number of measles cases in Borno
- Mariam Ileyemi: Fresh wave of religious crisis shouldn’t add to Nigeria’s many problems
- Police commend officers for rejecting N500,000 bribe
- Opinion: Yinka Odumakin, the storm is over!
- “Someone said I slept with the wife of the man who helped my career”, – Perruzi breaks silence