Estimated Reading Time: 1
The Presidency has said no fund was missing under the watch of the immediate past service chiefs, adding that procurements have been made for military weapons but the arms were yet to be delivered.
According to Garba Shehu, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, missing funds can’t happen under the regime of President Muhammadu Buhari .
Shehu spoke on Friday on Channels Television’s ‘Politics Today’, monitored – NewsWireNGR had reported that, National Security Adviser to the President, Maj.-Gen Babagana Monguno (retd.), said some funds meant for the purchase of arms got missing under the leadership of the ex-service chiefs.
The NSA had said in an interview with BBC Hausa on Friday, “No one knows what happened to the money but by God’s grace, the president will investigate to find out whether the money was spent and where the arms went”.
But speaking hours later also on Friday, Shehu said the NSA was misquoted, stressing that Monguno did not accuse the ex-service chiefs of misappropriation of funds.
He said, “About the $1bn taken from the Excess Crude Account with the consent of state governors used for military procurements, I want to assure you that nothing of that money is missing.
“The reference by it in the interview of the BBC Hausa Service by the National Security Adviser has been misconstrued and mistranslated.
“NSA made two critical points –one is that we don’t have enough weapons which is a statement of facts; and two procurements made have not been fully delivered.”
“At no point did the NSA say that money has been misappropriated and that no arms is seen. They have not been delivered, that is correct; these are things you don’t get off the shelves,” Shehu noted.
- ‘We recovered $153 Million, 80 houses from Diezani’ – EFCC reveals
- Arson: NDLEA office in Abia have been burned
- Nollywood actor defends alleged child molester Baba Ijesha; leads protest at Panti
- Kidnappers’ locations are not unknown but we are being careful – Lai Mohammed
- Southern Senators support Governor’s resolve to ban open grazing
- Abiodun Komolafe: Osun figures don’t lie!
- Vice President Osinbajo arrives Uganda for Yoweri Museveni’s 6th inauguration
- SPECIAL REPORT: How special needs students are struggling against the Nigerian educational system
- Squandered N50bn: Transport ministry accuse the NPA of engaging in “wastage of public funds”
- Cheta Nwanze: Quick reaction to Buhari’s new security measures for the South-East/South-South