Estimated Reading Time: 1
Terrorists have reportedly burnt down more than half of Ruwan Tofa, a town in Maru Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Northwest Nigeria, and abducted at least 60 persons including women and children.
BBC Hausa reported that the residents have started fleeing the town to nearby areas for safety. A resident who spoke to BBC Hausa said the terrorists have recently been frequently attacking to destroy lives and properties.
“They were there even yesterday and the day before yesterday. They burnt down our cars, houses, shops and about half of the town,” he said. He added that women, children and nursing mothers were among the 60 persons abducted by the terrorists.
“One of the residents had his entire family abducted except one child. They kidnapped an aide of a community leader and his entire family,” he added. One of the victims of the attack said 15 members of his family were abducted by the terrorists. His entire properties were also destroyed during the attack.
He added that they put a distress call to security officers who did not come, despite promising. Muhammad Shehu, the spokesperson of the police in Zamfara State was not immediately available for comments when contacted.
Zamfara and Katsina states have been the hotspots of terrorist attacks in Northwestern Nigeria with a series of mass abductions, pillages and destruction of villages and towns.
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami