Estimated Reading Time: 2
Minister of Police Affairs, Mohammed Dingyadi claims the police used minimum force on the #OccupyLekki on Saturday.
On Saturday, a second wave of the #EndSARS protest began in Lagos under the #OccupyLekkiTollGate rally, with more than 30 protesters arrested by security operatives.
The protesters have, however, been arraigned before a mobile court in Lagos, and granted bail.
However, a video circulating on the internet and has been subject of criticism directed to the police showed the police taunting the protesters who had been beaten and put in inhumane condition.
Speaking when he appeared on a Channels Television’s programme, Sunrise Daily on Tuesday monitored by NewsWireNGR, Dingyadi said the policemen deployed in the toll gate were well-kitted and maintained professionalism in restraining the protesters.
Dingyadi said, “This is the kind of things that we want to take place in any situation that we find ourselves. Like what you saw in Lekki, this is how it is supposed to be, they were fully equipped, well-uniformed and they were ready for the #EndSARS protesters. That was why we were able to contain the situation.
“Minimum force was used. People always say that the police use force but you forget the fact that for you to ask somebody to please move this side, please be orderly, you have to use some level of force, you have to use some minimum level of force to ensure that people comply with what you are saying. I’m not talking about shooting, I’m not talking about teargas, you have seen some people ask some people to go into (Black) Maria.”
Contrary to the minister’s statement, the Lagos State Police Command and the Lagos State government condemned the molestation of the protesters promising to probe the abuse of protocols by the police.
The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State, CP Hakeem Odumosu in a statement said he was “piqued by this unprofessional and inhuman act, has ordered the Deputy Commissioner of Police, State CID, Panti, DCP Adegoke Fayoade, to analyse the video and bring to book whoever that must have been responsible for the act.
“The command will fish out those responsible for the molestation and ensure they are punished for thier unprofessional conduct.”
- Just in: Thousands of residents trapped as Boko Haram insurgents take over Dikwa, Borno State
- Our abductors threatened to kill, fry, eat us – Jangebe schoolgirls
- Jangebe Kidnapping: Repentant terrorists helped us rescue the schoolgirls – Matawalle
- Kidnapped Jangebe schoolgirls regain their freedom
- ‘The first thing I’m focused on, is COVID-19’ Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala says
- NBC asks DSS to arrest operators of Radio Biafra
- Police in Sokoto confirms terrorists killed 12 persons In Illela
- A splinter Boko Haram group, regrouping in my state – Nasarawa Governor Raises Alarm
- Terrorists that attacked in Kaduna are from neighbouring states – Commissioner
- Ondo Government bans NURTW, RTEAN activities in the state