Estimated Reading Time: 1
Some #OccupyLekkiTollGate protesters were early Saturday arrested by the Nigerian police in Lagos State.
The protesters were arrested around 7:50 am, and in the eyewitness video below, one of the protesters was heard scraming, “Why are you after us. We have a right to protest. I could have been crushed by a car as the police were running after me for protesting,”
The plan to #OccupyLekkiTollGate came after the Lagos Judicial Panel of Inquiry ordered the reopening of the Lekki toll gate. On the 20th of October, unarmed protesters waving to the Nigerian flag and singing to the national anthem were shot at.
Eyewitness accounts shows that some of the arrested protesters were on Saturday manhandled and forced him into a white Hilux van to an unknown destination.
Nigeria’s information minister had Thursday, called on activists to drop plans for a protest in the commercial capital Lagos over the reopening of the site where demonstrators against police brutality were shot last year, saying it risked being “hijacked by hoodlums”.
Information Minister Lai Mohammed said the planned rally could turn violent because of “hoodlums”.
“We therefore strongly warn those who are planning to re-occupy Lekki Toll Gate on Saturday to desist,” Mohammed told a news conference on Thursday in the capital Abuja.
- SSANU suspends 3 weeks strike
- Twitter announces feature that lets you charge for tweets
- Victor Ejechi: Agricultural Production and the Development of the Nigerian Economy
- Insecurity: Buhari refuses amnesty for terrorist herders
- Kagara Abductions: ‘We are left to ourselves’ Niger Governor laments lack of support from FG
- If we don’t borrow, we will be left behind as a country – Finance Minister
- Kaduna Government says MDAs will only serve individuals with the State Residents Card, NIN
- Cattle and Foodstuff dealers begin nationwide strike
- Smart Adeyemi must apologize to Ikpeazu for calling him a ‘champagne drinking Governor’ – Theodore Orji
- ‘He who alleges must prove’ Bala Mohammed challenges Ortom