Estimated Reading Time: 1
More protesters have been arrested at the Lekki Tollgate in Lagos where some young persons were picked up earlier in the day.
The police had arrested over 23 persons who converged on the tollgate to protest the repossession of the facility by the Lekki Concession Company (LCC).
Popular entertainer and activist, Debo Adebayo, popularly known as Mr Macaroni, was on Saturday among some of the earlier protesters arrested at the Lekki Toll Gate.
The comedian had joined other protesters at the toll gate to oppose the decision of the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Inquiry to reopen the facility and hand it over to the Lekki Concession Company
“Na military regime?” Mr Macaroni said after his arrest, on an Instagram Live while in a police van. “If na military, make we know sey na military, so make everybody dey hide.”
His phone and that of other protesters were later seized by the police, ending his Instagram Live session.
LCC lost control of the tollgate on October 20, 2020, when security operatives forcefully dispersed #EndSARS protesters.
But last week, the Judicial Panel probing the #EndSARS crisis ruled that LCC should resume its activities at the tollgate.
This had irked persons aggrieved by the incident of October and they planned a fresh protest on Saturday.
And estimated 200 heavily armed personnel of the Nigerian Police were late Friday deployed to the toll hours before Saturday planned protest by the protesters.
- Zamfara Government orders immediate closure of all boarding schools in the state
- IGP calls for calm amid the tension caused by Jangebe schoolgirls abduction
- Controversy trails attempted arrest of Sunday Igboho
- Delta State bans night grazing, underage cattle herders in the state
- Bandits who abducted Jangebe schoolgirls are different from the ones I met – Gumi
- Police confirms 317 schoolgirls were abducted in Zamfara school
- Just in: Osinbajo tells CBN to regulate, not ban cryptocurrency
- Police in Rivers State dissolve the ‘Eagle Crack Squad’ unit of the force
- Jangebe Abductions: The terrorists attacked the soldiers in the community before they entered the school- Teacher reveals
- Muslims in Kwara public schools can now wear Hijabs – Kwara State government