Estimated Reading Time: 1
There was drama and even chaos on Saturday at the proceedings of the Lagos State Judicial Panel on Restitution for victims of SARS and other related matters following a decision on the repossession of the Lekki Toll Gate.
Proceedings degenerated into a shouting match after the Chairman of the panel, Justice Doris Okuwobi gave a ruling allowing the Lekki Concession Company (LCC) Ltd to repossess the toll gate.
Justice Okuwobi sitting with four other members of the panel listened to arguments for and against the application made by counsel to the LCC Ltd, Demola Seriki for the re-opening of the facility.
It’s the 4th time the LCC is making this application, Channels Television reports.
The other four members who sat with Justice Okuwobi are Segun Awosanya( Popularly known as Segalink), Oluwatoyin Odusanya (Director, Citizens right), DIG Taiwo Lakanu ( representing the police) and Lucas Koyejo (from the National Human Rights Commission)
In his arguments in support of the application, Mr Seriki asked the panel to allow the company take possession of the toll gate plaza for the purpose of evaluating the damage done so as to be able to make insurance claims needed to effect the necessary repairs which he says will last about 2 months.
Immediately after the panel ruling in his favour, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, EbunOlu Adegboruwa walked in with the other three members of the panel, Patience Udoh (representing civil society), Rinuola Oduola and Temitope Majekodunmi (representing the youths).
They all proceeded to deliver dissenting decisions to the effect that they were not in support of the repossession and the reopening of the Lekki toll plaza.
Further details shortly as the minority panel members are still individually reading their dissenting judgments
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana
- Just In: Gunmen attack Ebonyi community
- Lectures against Boko Haram endangered my life – Pantami