Estimated Reading Time: 1
Kebbi state governor Atiku Bagudu has assented to a review of the model Penal Code 2021, which prescribed death penalty for kidnapping in Kebbi state
The law, which is part of five laws the governor assented to on Thursday in Birnin Kebbi, also prescribed life imprisonment for rape.
A statement signed by Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice in the State ,Rahmatu Adamu Gulma says the governor assented to the Administration of Criminal Justice Law 2021, the Model Penal Code Law,2021,a law to repeal and to re-enact law number 3 of 2002, the establishment of Kebbi State College of Nursing Sciences , Birnin Kebbi,2021.
The Attorney General explained that with the Law of the Model Penal Code 2021, punishment for Kidnapping in Kebbi State under section 247 of the law is death and punishment for Rape under section 259(1) of the law is life imprisonment.
According to her, the coming into Law of the administration of Criminal Justice in the state will facilitate less custodial sentencing as the Courts would have the flexibility of non-custodial sentencing for minor offences .
She also explained that there will be less congestion in prisons as the law will allow for accelerated and speedy trials of Criminal offences.
- Father, son killed as bandits attack Kaduna community
- Buhari welcomes Ramadan, urges Nigerians to reject divisive voices
- ‘A missed opportunity for Nigeria’ – Nigerians reacts as Twitter announce Ghana its African Headquarters
- Breaking: Sultan confirms Ramadan begins Tuesday
- Attacks on Umuogudu Akpu-Ngbo community in Ebonyi not carried out by Herdsmen – State Gov’t
- Nigerian Govt raise alarm over planned attacks on airports across the country
- Former President Jonathan advocates for political positions to be secured through the ballot & not the court
- ‘You are our leader’ Fayose apologises to Governor Seyi Makinde
- ‘We will resume strike if our demands are not met in 4 weeks’ – Doctors warn
- Twitter sets shop in Africa, Skips Nigeria for Ghana