Estimated Reading Time: 2
A former presidential media aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Doyin Okupe has on Friday, reacted to his son, Bolu Okupe’s revelation of his sexuality.
Bolu, had on Thursday revealed that he is gay in an Instagram post. He was clad in a rainbow shorts and held a rainbow flag behind his body.
He then captioned the photo – “Yes, I’m gay”
Reacting to the declaration on Friday, Doyin tweeted that he has been aware of his son’s sexuality for a while and that his son is facing a spiritual challenge.
He added that as a Christian; he believes his child will revert to being a heterosexual with time.
“My attention has been drawn to a publication of my 27yr old son, Bolu Okupe, in which he declared publicly that he is Gay,” said Okupe.
‘‘I gave him that name Moba Oluwa Rin, (I walked with God) because he was born at the time I gave my life to Christ.
“I have been aware of this his new orientation for a while now.
“He knows that as a Christian and a witness for Christ (an evangelist) I am vehemently opposed to homosexuality as it runs contrary to the avowed precepts of my Christian faith.
“For me, I look beyond the surface or the physical. Here I see a major spiritual challenge ahead but I know as my God liveth, this whole saga will end up in Praise to the Almighty Jehova who I serve day and night.
“For it is written: Behold, the hand of the Lord is not shortened that it cannot save, neither is His ear dead that he cannot hear. Isaiah 59 vs 1.”
Bolu bagged a Master’s degree in International Management from NEOMA Business School, France.
The declaration by Bolu and reaction of Doyin Okupe has been in the centre of public opinion because Doyin worked under the government that enacted a law that criminalised homosexuals in the country.
It has also brought the fore discussions on the perception and the harassment homosexuals go through in the country.
- Police rescue kidnapped UNIJOS professor, husband
- ASUU joins NLC strike in Kaduna in solidarity
- ‘Nigeria may experience worse hike in food prices’ – Farmers Association
- Kaduna Strike: El-Rufai accuses NLC of ‘unlawful practice’
- ‘PDP Governors’ Forum meeting is a waste of time’ – APC says
- Governor Dapo Abiodun’s aide arrested in the US for alleged identity theft and unemployment scam
- Breaking: EFCC arrests the immediate past governor of Kwara State, Abdulfatah Ahmed
- Breaking: Actor, Baba Ijesha has been granted bail
- FG says it has uncovered 476 online publication sites dedicated to daily churning out of fake news to fight the government
- PDP Governors want Buhari to implement restructuring, state policing