Estimated Reading Time: 2
A former presidential media aide to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, Doyin Okupe has on Friday, reacted to his son, Bolu Okupe’s revelation of his sexuality.
Bolu, had on Thursday revealed that he is gay in an Instagram post. He was clad in a rainbow shorts and held a rainbow flag behind his body.
He then captioned the photo – “Yes, I’m gay”
Reacting to the declaration on Friday, Doyin tweeted that he has been aware of his son’s sexuality for a while and that his son is facing a spiritual challenge.
He added that as a Christian; he believes his child will revert to being a heterosexual with time.
“My attention has been drawn to a publication of my 27yr old son, Bolu Okupe, in which he declared publicly that he is Gay,” said Okupe.
‘‘I gave him that name Moba Oluwa Rin, (I walked with God) because he was born at the time I gave my life to Christ.
“I have been aware of this his new orientation for a while now.
“He knows that as a Christian and a witness for Christ (an evangelist) I am vehemently opposed to homosexuality as it runs contrary to the avowed precepts of my Christian faith.
“For me, I look beyond the surface or the physical. Here I see a major spiritual challenge ahead but I know as my God liveth, this whole saga will end up in Praise to the Almighty Jehova who I serve day and night.
“For it is written: Behold, the hand of the Lord is not shortened that it cannot save, neither is His ear dead that he cannot hear. Isaiah 59 vs 1.”
Bolu bagged a Master’s degree in International Management from NEOMA Business School, France.
The declaration by Bolu and reaction of Doyin Okupe has been in the centre of public opinion because Doyin worked under the government that enacted a law that criminalised homosexuals in the country.
It has also brought the fore discussions on the perception and the harassment homosexuals go through in the country.
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo
- Singer, Simi says female entertainers are constantly pitted against each other – she explains the difficulties
- Lagos State Government announces 3 months partial closure of Marine bridge
- WAEC cancels Literature-in English exams; candidates to rewrite papers March 11
- “They took away about 470 cows and cattle” killed 15 persons – Eyewitness accounts after gunmen storm Sokoto
- Speaker Gbajabiamila begs Nigerians to accept COVID-19 vaccine
- “That is the trump card that I will not reveal” – Chief of Defense Staff, General Lucky Irabor talks tough
- Repentant Boko Haram members return to the terror group after spying on security agents formation – Governor Zulum
- Nigerian soldier and his girlfriend were recently caught supplying ammunitions and military uniforms to armed bandits in Zamfara