Estimated Reading Time: 2
American Grammy Award-winning global sensation and record label executive, DJ Khaled, will be the international host for the MTV Africa Music Awards Kampala 2021.
The award ceremony will air globally for the first time, beginning February 20, 2020, on MTV channels; MTV Base and MTV Africa, in 180 countries.
Khaled will host the virtual awards ceremony from his home in Miami, Florida, alongside African co-emcees for the star-studded Kampala event.
“Africa is home to some of the world’s most dynamic talent and we’re excited to spotlight these artists as the MAMAs broadcasts in 180 countries for the first time in MTV history,” said Bruce Gillmer, President of Music, Music Talent, Programming and Events for ViacomCBS Media Networks.
“With Grammy Award-winning powerhouse, DJ Khaled, at the helm, we’re certain this will be an incredible, must-see global event.”
The Senior Vice President and General Manager, ViacomCBS Networks Africa, Monde Twala, said, “We are thrilled to have DJ Khaled as our international host for MAMA Kampala 2021. With his global success achievement and over 22 million followers on social media, he will inspire youth across the continent and attract an even bigger international audience to the virtual event.
“We can’t wait to showcase the latest African musical stars and culture to the MAMA themed MTV World Stage.”
According to DJ Khaled, MTV has always been a great partner, so he jumped at the opportunity to host this year’s MAMAs.
He said, “I can’t wait to celebrate the incredible music that comes out of Africa, which has inspired me throughout my career.”
A major force in the music industry, DJ Khaled has made dozens of chart-topping hit records featuring JAY-Z, Kanye West, Drake, Chris Brown, Ludacris, T.I., French Montana, Future, Big Sean, Rick Ross, John Legend, Nicki Minaj and Lil Wayne, among others.
He has been nominated for, and won, numerous music awards, including 13 BET Hip Hop Awards, one MTV Music Video Award and most recently, a Grammy
The MAMA Kampala 2021 event will celebrate African talents across 20 award categories, including Best Male, Best Female, Best Song, and Best Collaboration.
The contribution of artists from Portuguese and French-speaking Africa will also be recognized in the Best Lusophone and Best Francophone categories.
More so, new categories have been included in the MAMA award ceremony like; Generation Change Award, Best Fan Base, Alone Together Best Lockdown Performance and Personality of the Year.
Sixteen categories of the awards have been announced so far and voting has been declared open on the official website and affiliated Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts. Voting in all categories closes on 31 January 2021.
- Kano assembly approves a bill to force premarital testing
- Akeredolu calls for decentralisation of Police
- Just in: Senate approves Bawa’s appointment as new EFCC Chairman
- Auditor-General indicts MDAs on N105.66Billion spending
- Victims of NAF plane crash to be buried on Thursday
- WAEC withholds 70,000 SSCE results in Kano as government default on payment for sponsored students
- Borno Governor confirms 10 dead, 47 injured as he visits victims of Maiduguri attack
- COVID-19: Ghana becomes first country to receive COVAX-backed vaccine
- EXCLUSIVE audio recording reveals negotiation details of the Kagara School abductions
- Ilo family launch “Kasie” a book and Foundation, to comfort grieving families in memory of late daughter Natacha in Abuja