Estimated Reading Time: 2
A viral video showing some Nigerians stranded in Saudi Arabia for more than seven months is circulating on social media.
The video was shared on social media on Thursday evening. Ms Dabiri-Erewa’s tweet appeared to confirm the scenes in the viral video, which showed bodies – wrapped in black polythene bags – lying on the floor in a packed room.
“We are here more than three months, six months, seven months ago, without any action, no better information on transport to Nigeria,” the male narrator in the video said
According to narrator, some affected persons were not able to renew their residencies in the Muslim country. And instead of the Saudi Arabia immigration authorities relocating them to Nigeria in two weeks, they have been kept them in detention for three to more than seven months.
They are kept in poor conditions and have something that looks like bin bags as a duvet to keep them warm.
The room where they are placed is also overcrowded and they have to sleep close together, with bodies touching.
“We are here more than three months, six months, seven months ago, without any action, no better information on transport to Nigeria,” the narrator in the video said.
“According to the rules and regulations of this location, we are not supposed to be here for more than two weeks.
“Most nationals of other countries have been flown back to their countries. Only we Nigerians don’t have any source or way of getting back.
“I’m here on behalf of others to seek your assistance to get us back to our country.”
Confirming the allegations made in the video, Chairman of the Nigerians In Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, on Friday said that the Nigerian government is working on returning them to the country.
She tweeted, “Nigerian irregular migrants in Saudi Arabia are due to be evacuated on the 28th and 29th of January, pending any unforeseen issues.”
The evacuation is expected to be carried out in two batches of 400 and 200 by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the NIDCOM chief added.
- Yakassai: Jonathan did not punish you, Tinubu, El-Rufai for criticism – Falana tells Buhari
- Jangebe abduction will be the last – Buhari assures
- NDLEA arrests a trans-border drug trafficker with N1bn worth of cocaine in Sokoto
- Just In: Katsina orders reopening of boarding schools after Kankara abduction
- Salihu Tanko-Yakasai’s family petitions DSS
- COVID-19: Nigeria to get four million vaccine doses Tuesday
- APC Youths blame Salihu Tanko-Yakasai for his comments on Buhari – demand his release
- Chinedu Ekeke: Buhari regime, gasping for air, begging to breathe
- Correction: 317 kidnapped schoolgirls of Government Secondary School in Jangebe, Zamfara yet to be freed
- I will never accept and legalise same-sex marriage – Ghana President, Akufo-Addo