Estimated Reading Time: 1
Abia State government has given street traders at Obikabia and Opobo junctions, Ogbor Hill in Aba, seven days to vacate the streets and move into approved markets in the city.
The state Commissioner for Environment , Mr Tony Nwamuo, gave the ultimatum when he led a taskforce team to the locations.
He also called on the management of Crunchies, and the owner of a fish pond within the area to work out proper ways of channelling their waste water so that it doesn’t cause public nuisance.
Mr. Nwamuo revealed that the visit was in compliance with the orders and directives of the state governor, Dr Okezie Ikpeazu, to restore sanity within the axis where the activities of traders and Keke operators are causing damage to the newly constructed roads.
He emphasised that the state government would not tolerate such destructive and unpatriotic acts but expects everyone to join hands with it
in its efforts to improve facilities and beautify the state.
On his part, the General Manager of Abia State Public Utilities Maintenance Agency (APUMA), Mr Abraham Akpulonu, and his Traffic and Indiscipline Management Agency of Abia State (TIMASS) counterpart, Commander Bright Ikeokwu, revealed that the agencies are on a mission to clear the city of illegal structures along the junctions and grassing of the areas while urging the people, including Keke operators, to obey the vacation order within the stipulated period as work would commence in the affected areas immediately.
The government warned that no form of hindrance by any person or groups of persons would be condoned.
The traders who spoke to newsmen appealed to the state government to address the illegal loading of passengers at the junction.
- I “cannot continue to be a member of a Political party that endangers” – Former APC Chairman resigns
- Adams Oshiomhole refers to Governor Obaseki as his “brother and friend” after the two met in Auchi
- In Lagos, Police vows to go after hoodlums and criminals in Lekki and Ajah areas
- Why Government must realize that digital currency is the future
- Breaking: APC pulls out of ongoing local government polls in Delta
- CBN Introduce incentives to diaspora remittances: Beneficiaries to get N5 for every USD received
- Breaking: In Kaduna, Gunmen storm Federal Airport Authority quarters, abduct staff, family members
- Buhari and Osinbajo get Vaccinated against COVID-19, when will poor Nigerians get theirs?
- “I won’t take any vaccine” – Governor Yahaya Bello has said Kogi state people are not “guinea pigs”
- I tested positive for COVID-19 – Obasanjo