Estimated Reading Time: 1
Alex Apolinario, a Brazilian footballer, has on Thursday died in the hospital, four days after he collapsed on the pitch.
He was playing for Portuguese third tier side FC Alverca against Uniao de Almeirim when he lost consciousness and fell to the ground in the 27th minute of the game.
On-site medics used a defibrillator on the attacking midfielder before he was rushed to hospital.
He was reported to be stable later on Sunday night. But on Thursday, the club disclosed that he passed away.
A statement by the club read: “It is with deep regret that we report, according to the information provided by the medical staff of the Vila Franca de Xira Hospital, the death by brain death of our athlete Alex Sandro dos Santos Apolinário, this morning.
“FC Alverca Futebol SAD will provide all the necessary support to their families. At this time of mourning all the activities of FC Alverca are canceled.”
Apolinario, born in the state of Sao Paulo, made seven senior appearances for Brazilian outfit Cruzeiro after coming through their academy.
He moved to Alverca in 2019 and opened the scoring in a famous Taca de Portugal win over Sporting Lisbon that year.
- Police say hoodlums loaded in a bus and taxi stormed the home of Sunday Igboho at 3 am
- Lagos State Government seals 10 properties in Ogudu GRA
- Fredrick Nwabufo: Abuja under siege by bandits, but DSS, army after agitators in south-east
- Babafemi Ojudu: The Sunday Igboho I Knew
- NECO announces new date for examinations
- Police parade Niger Republic citizens who supply arms to bandits in Katsina, Zamfara
- COVID-19: Federal Government releases N10Billion for local production of vaccines
- Government to shut down NYSC orientation camps that fail to comply with COVID-19 protocol
- Foreign Direct Investment fell in 2020 with Nigeria earning $2.6Billion
- Just In: Lagos Task Force allegedly kill pedestrian while chasing vehicle