Breaking News

Breaking: Oyo State Government lifts curfew, okays crossover services

Estimated Reading Time: 2

The Oyo State Government has lifted the 12 am to 4 am curfew earlier imposed on states by the Federal Government.

A statement from Governor Seyi Makinde’s Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Mr Taiwo Adisa, also noted that the state government had permitted cross-over services in the state.

The statement read, “Following a review of the pronouncement of the Technical Team of the Task Force on COVID-19 in Oyo State on 29th December 2020, His Excellency, the Executive Governor, Engr. Seyi Makinde, FNSE, has magnanimously directed that the 12 midnight to 4 a.m. curfew be lifted.

“The governor has also warned citizens and residents of Oyo State to ensure strict compliance with the guidelines, protocols and advisories as laid down by the OYO State COVID-19 Task Force aimed at limiting the transmission of the disease in our communities.

“Secondly, he has directed that enforcement of these guidelines and protocols in accordance with the law will be applied as appropriate, enjoining individuals and organizations to comply and by so doing ensure that we all spread the joy of this season and not the virus.”

Meanwhile, the President of the Nigerian Medical Association, Prof. Innocent Ujah, said he was seen as someone against the progress of the education sector when he warned against the reopening of schools earlier in the year.

Ujah, at a webinar organised by the Alliance on Surviving COVID-19 and Beyond, on Wednesday, said the country was not adequately prepared when the schools were reopened.

“When the government wanted to reopen the schools, I cautioned them and said if the schools must be reopen, there must be necessary preparation to prevent the children from contracting the virus. One parent wrote the Presidential Taskforce on COVID-19 that I don’t want people to go to school and that I was being wicked.

“Now, we all know better; a lot of children who sat for the last WASSCE were infected. Today, some corps members have also been infected. These are some of the things that could have been prevented if sufficient precautions were taken before reopening the schools,” he said.

The NMA President also lamented the disregard for social distancing by Nigerians, saying this had also contributed to the rising COVID-19 cases.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*